More Drafting Articles:Generic Counter-Pick Heroes
Basic Drafting Tips
List of Hero Synergies for Drafting
If-Then Drafting & Banning Tips:
- If you want to draft direct, burst healers (Omni, Dazzle, Undying), ban Ancient Apparition (Ice Blast)
- If you want to run Dazzle, ban Axe and/or Necrophos. Both heroes make Shallow Grave fairly useless. Ancient Apparition is also very annoying, as his Ice Blast makes healing useless.
Ban (or Pick) Pugna When:
- You want Sand King (Nether Ward disables Blink Dagger when channeling Epi)
- You want Skywrath Mage or Zeus (Nether Ward counters both quite handily)
- You want Lina or Lion
- If you run armor-reduction strat, ban Omniknight (Guardian Angel counters physical damage)
- Winter Wyvern is also annoying, as Cold Embrace blocks all physical damage.
Ban Silencer when:
- you use initiators with combos (Magnus, Brewmaster, Sand King, Storm Spirit, Puck, etc)
- you want to run Enigma, Phoenix, Witch Doctor, Bane, Pugna, or anyone with a channeled ult.
- The enemy team needs a disabler or hard support
- You plan to have stronger teamfight than the enemy team
- If you run a squishy carry as a mid hero with no escape, consider banning Vengeful Spirit, Ogre Magi, Rubick, Crystal Maiden, Earthshaker (early ganks) or Batrider (midgame initiation).
- If you run a squishy, ranged right-click hero (Drow, Sniper, Clinkz, Shadowfiend), consider banning Storm Spirit, Batrider, Axe, or Legion Commander
If you want a squishy carry that relies on escapes
(Weaver, Clinkz, Bounty), or is highly dependent on low-cooldown
abilities (Storm Spirit, QoP, etc), consider banning Doom (and possibly
Silencer). Skywrath isn't a bad ban in this case, either (long silence).
You may encounter a dual mid if any of the following occur:
- Io pick (add Tiny, CK, Sven, PA, etc)
- Lich + Hard Carry (Terrorblade, Faceless, etc)
- Two strong semi-carry solo laners picked (e.g. Bristle + Brewmaster)
- The enemy is running a three-core lineup, and none of the heroes are strong mids
- If you run a burst lineup, ban Vengeful Spirit (Swap) or Dazzle (Shallow Grave). Chen is also very annoying, but not usually ban-worthy.
- If you want Batrider, consider banning Vengeful Spirit (Nether Swap out of Lasso)
- If you are against heroes with good-over-time ultimates (Death Prophet, Brewmaster, Jakiro), consider picking Naga (wait out their ultimates, re-engage).
- If you want to draft a big-teamfight-ultimate team, consider banning Rubick, Silencer or Naga. Ban Rubick to prevent spell-stealing, Silencer if you rely on combos, and Naga if you rely on abilities with temporary buffs (Primal Split, etc).
- If you are facing heroes that typically go BKB as a core item (Sven, Luna, Gyro), consider picking a BKB-piercing disabler (Bane, Enigma, Beastmaster, Magnus).
- If you want an illusion-based carry (Terrorblade, Naga, CK, PL, etc), consider banning carries with Cleave or multi-target right-click (Luna, Sven, Gyro, Medusa, Dragon Knight). Alternately, pick your carry last.
- If you want Meepo, consider banning single-target bursty heroes (Lina/Lion/Centaur/Zeus)
- If you need to counter a tough melee carry, consider a ranged carry that can "kite" the melee carry: Viper, Weaver, Drow. Alternately, go Lifestealer and use that health pool against him.
- If you draft a squishy, farm-dependent hard carry like Spectre, PA, or Terrorblade, ensure that you pick defensive (i.e. not greedy) supports that would do well against an enemy tri-lane. Ban common enemy tri-lane heroes, or gankers (such as Bounty Hunter or Storm Spirit) if you intend to spend a lot of time jungling.
- If you want Broodmother, ban Earthshaker. Echo Slam will destroy you unless you are very good at micro'ing your broodlings separately (and away from) your hero. Alternately, run a non-Broodling build on Broodmother to mess with your opponents.
Picking Stealth Carries (Riki, Bounty, Clinkz)
- If you want Riki or Nyx, DON'T ban Slardar or Bounty Hunter - it's too obvious. Instead, pick the stealth hero later in your draft (or ban Slardar/Bounty if you get last ban).